You might have heard that a vaseline wrap on the stomach can reduce belly fat while you sleep, and wondering how to lose belly fat overnight with Vaseline. Here we’ll discuss if there is scientific evidence to prove this theory, or if it is just a myth.
Abdominal fat is the most stubborn body fat to lose. Being a fitness trainer, I see every second trainee struggling to get rid of it. That’s why we always look for new ways to burn fat. But when I heard that Vaseline can reduce belly fat, it sounded insane.
So, I ran a fourteen days test myself along with my trainees to see if this claim actually had any truth behind it.
Are you in your teens? Read how much belly fat is normal for teenagers before even trying to reduce it.
Table of Content
Does Vaseline Help Lose Belly Fat?
Truth be told – vaseline and plastic wrap on the stomach overnight or while exercising do not burn belly fat, or even calories. All it does is make you sweat to lose water weight, by causing hyperthermia and raising the temperature of your skin around the waistline.
The sensation caused by the vaseline and saran wrap makes you believe that it is helping you lose belly fat. But actually, it is not!
There is no denying that when you use a vaseline wrap on your stomach, thighs, and arms, you will sweat more while exercising and lose water weight. But that weight will come back after a few hours as soon as you hydrate yourself. So, it is not a healthy or sustainable way to lose weight.
“The only way to lose belly fat is by creating a calorie deficit and increasing metabolism to burn stored fat as required calories for fuel” – that’s it, no magic cream or an ointment will burn your body fat. However, there are some vitamins, minerals, and herbs to boost metabolism and burn fat faster, but they definitely do not exist in the form of an ointment, or a cream.
If that’s the case, then why there’s so much hype about reducing belly fat using Vaseline? Let’s see why people believe that they are able to lose tummy fat overnight with Vaseline!
Some people also believe sleeping with a waist trainer helps you lose weight.
How People Lose Belly Fat Overnight With Vaseline
The main reason people believe that they are able to lose belly fat with vaseline is because of the “sauna effect”.
When you apply vaseline on your stomach and wrap it with plastic (something like kitchen film), it creates a warm environment for your body. As a result, you start sweating which leads to water weight loss. However, this reduction in a pound or two is not from body fat, but only from water stored in your body.
Let’s see how to lose belly fat overnight with Vaseline: (common belief and being practiced)
1. Applying vaseline on the stomach: This creates a barrier on your skin so that the heat can’t escape.
2. Wrapping plastic around the stomach: This will further increase the temperature and make you sweat more.
3. When you sleep: As you sleep, your body temperature naturally decreases. But when you have vaseline and plastic wrapped around your stomach, it prevents the heat from escaping and makes you sweat more.
As you wake up in the morning and remove the plastic wrapping, you find sweat all over your clothes and bed. You immediately weigh yourself and see a drop in weight (because of the water you lost overnight). This gives you the false belief that you have actually melted belly fat.
But the truth is, it’s just water weight that you have lost and it will come back as soon as you hydrate yourself.
There is no way to get skinny overnight using Vaseline, you need to watch your diet and exercise regularly to burn calories and lose weight – but that takes a few weeks to months.
What Does Science Say About Getting A Flat Stomach Overnight
Losing belly fat overnight is unfortunately not possible, despite what some quick-fix solutions might claim. However, science does offer some strategies for reducing stomach fat over time.
Diet and exercise are always important for maintaining a healthy weight, but there is also evidence to suggest that certain foods can help to target belly fat specifically.
For example, research has shown that consuming more protein and fiber can help to reduce visceral (stomach) fat, while omega-3 fatty acids may aid in the breakdown of abdominal fat cells.
Additionally, applying Vaseline to the stomach area before bedtime may help to temporarily create hyperthermia to increase body heat and cause sweating to lose water weight. It also tightens the skin, giving the illusion of a flatter stomach and loose inches overnight.
While these science-backed methods won’t give you overnight results, they can help you to gradually lose belly fat and improve your overall health.
Can We Use A Vaseline Wrap For Belly Fat During Exercise
The process of using vaseline wraps to lose belly fat is commonly known as “spot reduction”. The idea behind spot reduction is that you can lose fat in a specific area by targeting that area with an exercise, or with any aiding equipment.
For example, if you want to lose belly fat, you would do exercises that target your abdominal muscles.
The problem with spot reduction is that it doesn’t work. You cannot lose fat in a specific area of your body – you lose overall body fat!
Vaseline wraps around the belly during exercise will not help you lose fat. In fact, it can actually be harmful as it will prevent your skin from breathing and can cause rashes.
How Can We Lose Belly Fat Overnight?
Losing belly fat overnight is not possible. However, there are some steps you can take to help reduce visceral fat and slim down your waistline.
- Try eating a healthy diet that includes plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Cut back on processed foods, sugary drinks, and saturated fats, and eat more lean protein and fiber.
- Get regular exercise. Aerobic activities like walking, jogging, cycling, and swimming help to burn calories and reduce body fat.
- Strength-training exercises can also help to tone the abdominal muscles and give the appearance of a flatter stomach. These exercises also build muscles to increase metabolism and burn calories.
- Get enough sleep each night. Lack of sleep has been linked to increased levels of abdominal fat.
We believe the claim behind losing belly fat overnight with vaseline is false. Vaseline or any petroleum jelly does not burn fat, or calories. You may experience some immediate reduction in weight because of excess sweating, but that’s due to water weight loss. The only way to truly lose belly fat is through a healthy diet and regular exercise.
Frequently Asked Questions: (FAQs)
How can I slim my stomach overnight?
Follow these tips to slim your stomach overnight, gradually:
- Do not sleep with a full stomach.
- Eat more protein and fiber before going to bed, and avoid carbs at night as much as possible.
- Finish your dinner at least 2 hours before going to bed.
- Walk for about 20-30 minutes before going to bed, it will raise your blood flow and metabolism to burn calories while you sleep.
Does Vaseline and Saran Wrap help you lose weight?
Vaseline and Saran Wrap can help you lose weight in short term by making you sweat more, which will lead to water weight loss. However, they will not help you lose fat. The only way to truly lose weight is through a healthy diet and regular exercise.
What is the fastest way to melt away some tummy fat?
There is no one “fast” way to melt away some tummy fat. However, there are some lifestyle changes you can make and some exercises you can do to help reduce visceral fat and slim down your waistline.
- Eat a healthy diet that includes plenty of raw vegetables, fruits, whole grains, and healthy fats.
- Avoid processed foods, sugary drinks, and saturated fats.
- Include a large portion of your meals with lean protein and fiber.
- Make a habit of exercising 40+ minutes at least 5 times a week to get results fast.